Saturday, January 22, 2011

Romantic Black Lace

Before my main topic, first is this: Wow, I have not blogged in so long. To be honest, I've been so busy at work that I haven't had any time to do anything else but work. I haven't been attending classes for my museum studies masters degree and I haven't been able to take care of my artists for my small one-woman-run art agency. 2010 was really a busy year. Apart from planning my wedding, the magazine I work for really just got hectic because of all the revamping we did (for the print version, marketing events, TV, etc.). But the stress paid off--our magazine is at the top of its game and our competitors are scrambling to keep up. We just closed our February 2011 anniversary issue (19th) and we have a big surprise for our readers. All I can say is that we have MULTIPLE covers.

But despite the stress it gives me, my work has its many perks--one of which is keeping me in tune with what's hot in the fashion world. And yesterday I wore to work one of my favorite fall/winter 2011 trends--black lace:

(That's me on the right, wearing a Forever 21 top; on my left is our editorial assistant, Sarah)

Hence, inspired by my wardrobe, I decided to dedicate this post to this romantic-gothic look. Here's another photo of me at my wedding last April 2010 wearing black lace tights (My mother was not pleased that I wore colors other than white to my wedding, but I was never one to really follow convention):

(Black lace tights and red shoes by Zara; wedding dress, fascinator and clutch by Chris Diaz)

And here's another one of me, wearing black lace gloves sourced in Carolina's Lace Shop (given to me by fashion editor Teej Nepomuceno):

(Photo taken by Mai Kaufman at Mega Magazine's September 2010 issue wrap party at Members Only; I'm wearing neckpiece and dress by Chris Diaz for Myth)

Being a new wife, one of my favorite pastimes is looking at design blogs for inspiration for our home. One of my must-have finds are these black lace light bulbs by BrowneHsieh from the company's MothEaten line:

(Photo source: Design*Sponge)

Blogger Candy Dizon posted photos of The Peninsula Manila Hotel's newest resto, Salon De Ning. One of the photos that caught my eye was this one of the these beautiful lace chandeliers:


And, of course, since this is an art blog, I Googled "black lace artwork" and found some really nice creations:

("Black Lace" by Jennifer Poon; watercolor on paper; 64 in x 59 in)

("Black Lace" by KainApophysis)

("Petite Kokeshi" by Caracarmina)

Well, that's it for my first post for the year! Winter season is almost over and already I'm stocking up on colorful neon things for Spring/Summer. Here's a sneak peek of what I've gotten already:


So be ready to see colorful posts soon!!! Ciao for now!

5 comments:

  1. Clap clap clap :-) I'm glad you have time to blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Spiker! Blog again soon, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi how much is an editorial assistant's salary range in the magazine industry, specifically fashion? just want to know. doing a survey. thanks miss carla!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Anonymous! I suppose you're referring to Philippine publishing, right? An editorial assistant's salary would fall under the entry-level rate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your so-called wedding "bouquet" -- it had feathers, right?

    ReplyDelete