Tuesday, June 16, 2009

I'm a-bloggin' now!

Congratulations! You're reading my first blog post. Woohoo!

Let's see... where to start...

Hi! My name is Lacar. Welcome to my blog, Magasining.

Magasining is a portmanteau of two Filipino words: magasin and sining. Magasin means magazine, while sining means art. So, put it together (drum roll...) and you get "art magazine"! Duh. Haha.

The name Magasining was originally created back in 2005. Aside from being a portmanteau of two Filipino words, it is as well the merging of my two passions--art and writing.

So, as I'm sure you have deduced, this blog is about art--and mostly about Filipino art. You see, I also moonlight as an art manager to young upcoming Filipino artists. Through this blog, I want to introduce them to you and show you what they can do.

To tell you the truth, I'm a frustrated artist. I love art, but I can't create it. That's why I'll just stick to writing about it and helping out my artist-friends. Believe me, I've tried creating art, but there's just a strong disconnect between my "wanting" to be an artist and "being" one. Case in point: this painting that you see here that spells the word "love." (yes, that's my spider-veined hobbit foot at the bottom) This painting is not an original design. I saw a photo of it online several years ago and decided to recreate it. Seriously, I have no original thought when it comes to art. I'm a copycat. But then again, as one of my professors at the University of the Philippines once said, "There is no originality in art. Art is an abstraction of something else--whether it's someone else's art, a life experience, an emotion, etc." I must admit I felt a little better about my art when she said that. However...doesn't being an artist entail technique? And I definitely don't have that. (fishing for compliments here...haha)

Well, okay, okay! Done with the rambling now. I've introduced myself and that should be enough. Let's do some real art bloggin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment